Entertainment as a remedy against social disadvantage and support tool for people living with life limiting conditions
The project promotes political and cultural awareness of Italian initiatives that involve entertainment as a support tool for people facing marginalisation. Its aim is to study and develop innovative measures in helping people fighting social exclusion (including regulatory interventions) to get better results.
Performing arts (including their specific use in the so-called art-therapies) and entertainment activities are analyzed as an instrument for individual learning and development in order to: empower people, guarantee their well-being, prevent and fight social disadvantage in different social settings such as hospitals, prisons and communities.
The primary objective of the project is the promotion and the circulation of strategies and practices to alleviate suffering, encourage social inclusion and allow the rehabilitation and reintegration of people.
We have taken into consideration diverse scenarios involving hundreds of thousands of people: suffice it to say that there are 207 jails and 1.200 health care facilities in Italy; approximately 67 thousand people are held in the custody of prisons and those sentenced to alternative measures are about 20 thousand; 20 thousand minors live thanks to the social services, while the total number of beds in hospital and other care institutes amount to approximately 250 thousand. The staff employed in these structures are so divided: approximately 38 thousand people work as police officers or commissioners, 2 thousand people as pedagogues or social workers while the doctors amount to 130 thousand in total and the medical personnel to 290 thousand people. Italian people with a severe form of disability are more than 2 million.
The project goals are:
1. Drafting the first accurate survey ever made of all the Italian experiences using “entertainment” as an antidote against social disadvantage;
2. Identifying cases of excellence and develop possible benchmarks in order to encourage the institutions (the Ministries and the administrative divisions) to: create “ad hoc” rules on a national and local level; promote institutional communication and social awareness campaigns;
3. The development of the “Annual Report on the entertainment culture as a remedy against social disadvantage”: both the report and the website (that will be constantly updated) will inform people about the evolution of our research.
The initiative, unfolding over years, is developed through the following activities:
1. Presentation of the project in a public meeting, at the highest levels, to be held in an institutional context: the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate;
2. Definition of a memorandum of understanding between the parties willing to participate in the project with scientific, technological and financial contributions;
3. Set-up of:
– a “Scientific Committee” involving experts and operators in relevant sectors (culture, entertainment, health, justice, etc.), including representatives of associations
– a “Steering Committee” composed of Representatives of Organizations – public and private – wishing to support the project
4. Organization of a Festival whose schedule includes screenings, theatrical shows and debates so to allow the sharing of theories, practices and policies.
With the patronage of:
– Presidenza del Senato della Repubblica (Presidency of the Senate)
– Ministero dell’Integrazione (The Ministry of Integration)
– Rai – Radiotelevisione Italiana – Segretariato Sociale (The National public broadcasting company)
– Associazione Nazionale Comuni d’Italia – Anci (The National Association of Italian Municipalities)
– Unione delle Province d’Italia – Upi (The Union of Italian Provinces)
– Conferenza delle Regioni e delle Province Autonome (Italian Conference of Regions and Autonomous Provinces)
– Associazione Generale Italiana dello Spettacolo – Agis (Italian General Association for entertainment)
– Associazione Nazionale Industrie Cinematografiche Audiovisive Multimediali – Anica (National Association of Film, Audiovisual and Multimedia Industries)
– Federazione Servizi Pubblici Cultura Turismo Sport – Federculture (Federation of Public Services for Culture Tourism Sport and Recreation)
– Cei: Fondazione Ente dello Spettacolo – FedS / Fondazione Migrantes (Cei: Foundation for the Entertainment / Migrantes Foundation)
S.A.C.D. is a project by Lorenzo Scarpellini and further developed by Angelo Zaccone Teodosi. The initiative is conducted by IsICult (Italian Institute for Cultural Industry), a non-profit research institution founded in 1992 and focusing on cultural policies and media economies.